Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2018        Go!    
 
 
September 26, Wednesday 2018 1:00 AM       

       HEADLINES: P K Sasi controversy: Evidence collected from 6 persons                                              Violinist Balabhaskar’s daughter dies in accident                                              Man throws away Karunya lottery ticket, friend grabs it                                              Tamil movie incites murder in Thiruvananthapuram                                              Thejaswi Balabhaskar, child born after long years of wait                                              Rahul Gandhi a 'directionless leader', Cong creating campaign based on lies: Javadekar                                              Amit Shah to attend BJP workers meet in Jaipur on Wednesday                                              Pak won't abandon peace efforts despite India's reluctance: Qureshi                                              Maldives government acknowledges opposition victory                                              Trump's latest tariffs on China begin to bite                                              China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'                                              I'm a 'scapegoat' says sacked Sri Lanka captain Mathews                                              Test cricket should not be tinkered with, says Kohli                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       WORLD Next Article: Myanmar court sentences Reuters reporters to seven years in jail  
       Boko Haram military base attack death toll hits 48
 
         Posted on :22:14:48 Sep 3, 2018
   
A A
       Last edited on:22:14:48 Sep 3, 2018
         Tags: Boko Haram, military base attack, death toll
 
Kano: Forty-eight soldiers were killed in a Boko Haram attack in remote northeast Nigeria, military sources said on Monday, in the latest strike that raises questions about the group's apparent resurgence and troops' ability to fight back.
 
Scores of jihadist fighters in trucks stormed the base on Thursday in Zari village in northern Borno state and briefly seized it after a fierce battle.
 
Boko Haram, which has been waging a deadly insurgency in northeast Nigeria since 2009, has intensified attacks on "hard" military targets in recent months, undermining repeated claims by the military that they have the upper hand.
 
Troops have even protested that they are stretched to breaking point by constant security duties and the attacks that analysts tracking the conflict say have become more sophisticated and planned.
 
At least 30 Nigerian soldiers were initially said to have been killed in Thursday's raid, which was claimed by a Boko Haram faction backed by the Islamic State group.
 
"The casualty toll now stands at 48 with the recovery of 17 more bodies of soldiers in surrounding bushes in Zari by search and rescue teams," a military source who did not want to be named told AFP.
 
"Search operations are still ongoing and more bodies are likely to be recovered." 
 
Another military source confirmed the new death toll.
 
"So far (the) bodies of 48 troops have been recovered. Yesterday rescue teams found 17 bodies of fallen soldiers," he said, adding that they included two officers and 46 soldiers.
 
"When the troops were overwhelmed by the terrorists they withdrew in different directions." 
 
The militants were said to have taken weapons and military equipment before they were pushed out of the base by troops with aerial support. The sources said the extremists were pursued and bombarded by a fighter jet.
 
"The terrorists also suffered heavy casualty from the bombardment," one of the military officers said.
 
Zari is located 30 kilometres (20 miles) from the town of Damasak, on the border with Niger, which has seen an upsurge in Boko Haram activity.
 
The jihadists are thought to have attacked the base from the nearby Garunda village, where 17 troops were killed and 14 injured in an attack on another military base last month, the sources said.
 
In a statement late Friday the Nigerian military confirmed troops fought Boko Haram "insurgents... on (a) rampage to loot the community and extort money from villagers". But no death toll was given.
 
The intensified armed campaign in recent weeks, primarily against military targets, has claimed the lives of dozens of troops, providing the government with a headache as it looks to trumpet its security achievements before elections next year.
 
On July 14, militants overran a military base in Jilli village in neighbouring Yobe state. Dozens of troops were said to have been killed, wounded or missing.
 
The army at the time conceded the base was attacked but again said troops remobilised and succeeded in repelling the attackers.
 
In a short statement last Wednesday, IS-affiliated Boko Haram jihadists claimed to have killed "several" Nigerian troops in separate mortar strikes on a military base in the town of Arge in the Lake Chad area.
 
AFP could not independently verify the claim .
 
The Boko Haram insurgency, which is in its ninth year, has left 20,000 people dead and displaced 2.6 million.
 
A A
       WORLD
Next Article: Myanmar court sentences Reuters reporters to seven years in jail
 
 
WORLD HEADLINES
China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'  
Trump's latest tariffs on China begin to bite  
Maldives government acknowledges opposition victory  
Pak won't abandon peace efforts despite India's reluctance: Qureshi  
Japanese supply ship heads to space station after delays  
Pak PM Imran hits out at India, calls its response "arrogant" for cancelling talks  
Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions  
US Senate committee postpones Kavanaugh hearing  
Russia warns US it is 'playing with fire' with sanctions  
Kim, Moon join hands on peak of sacred North Korean volcano  
Korean leaders undertake joint excursion to Mt. Paektu  
US-China trade war could last for 20 years: Jack Ma  
Nepal: Madhesis confident of govt addressing their demands  
Imran Khan govt auctions 70 luxury cars as part of austerity drive  
Germany rolls out world's first hydrogen train  
British PM 'irritated' by leadership speculation  
UN report on Kashmir has no mention of Pak-sponsored terrorism  
Trump claims Hurricane Maria death toll rose 'like magic'  
Iran orders the closure of a pro-reform newspaper  
Russia says no to US demands on inspections of chemical facilities  
‘Threat becomes reality’: Florence begins days of rain, wind  
Criticising government costing broadcasters in Maldives  
Suu Kyi says handling of Rohingya could have been better  
Putin urges 'security guarantees' for NKorea denuclearisation  
Japan's Abe expresses support for better Trump-Kim ties  
 
Do you agree with KCBC's statement against nuns who protested?
yes
 
no
 
no opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy