Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2018        Go!    
 
 
April 23, Monday 2018 10:51 PM       

       HEADLINES: Nothing unnatural about Liga's death, say police                                              BJP hartal at Ranni today                                              WhatsApp hartal: Jamaat-e-Islami, Popular Front should apologise                                              Petrol, diesel hit record prices                                              Kochi: 20 kg cannabis seized, 2 held                                              Venkaiah Naidu rejects Opposition notice impeachement of chief justice Dipak Misra                                              Anant Kumar Hegde receives threat call                                              CJI impeachment: Congress to file petition in SC                                              Yemen: At least 30 killed after Saudi-led air strike hits wedding party                                              The royal family of UK welcomes baby no. 3                                              Pak Army Chief calls for meaningful Indo-Pak dialogue                                              CPEC: Business, security headache for China, Pak                                              China's BRI exposes its ulterior strategic motives                                              Sania Mirza announces arrival of 'Baby Mirza Malik'                                              Will take a call on my career after 2019 WC: Yuvraj                                              Mithali Raj reflects on changing horizon of women's cricket                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       WORLD Next Article: Trump to Kim Jong-Un: My nuclear button 'is bigger & more powerful'  
       Palestinians say won't be 'blackmailed' after Trump threat
 
         Posted on :22:17:19 Jan 3, 2018
   
A A
       Last edited on:22:17:19 Jan 3, 2018
         Tags: Palestinians, 'blackmailed', Trump threat
 
Ramallah (Palestinian Territories): Palestinian leaders said today they will not be "blackmailed" after US President Donald Trump threatened to cut aid worth more than USD 300 million annually, his latest provocative move that could upturn years of careful diplomacy.
 
Relations between Trump's White House and the Palestinians were already tense after the US president's recognition of Jerusalem as Israel's capital last month.
 
The December 6 announcement concerning the disputed city led Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas to say the United States could no longer play any role in the Middle East peace process.
 
Trump's threat in a tweet yesterday to try to force the Palestinians into negotiations led to further outrage, though Israeli ministers lauded the move.
 
The Palestinians rely heavily on international aid, with many analysts, including Israelis, saying such assistance helps maintain stability in a volatile region.
 
"We pay the Palestinians HUNDRED OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS a year and get no appreciation or respect," Trump tweeted.
 
"With the Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace, why should we make any of these massive future payments to them?" 
 
It was not immediately clear whether Trump was threatening all of the budget, worth USD 319 million in 2016, according to US government figures.
 
The United States has long provided the Palestinian Authority with much-needed budgetary support and security assistance, as well as an additional USD 304 million for UN programmes in the West Bank and Gaza.
 
Israel receives more than USD 3 billion in military aid per year from Washington.
 
Abbas's spokesman said they were not against negotiations, but that talks should be "based on international laws and resolutions that have recognised an independent Palestinian state with east Jerusalem as its capital".
 
"Jerusalem is the eternal capital of the state of Palestine and it is not for sale for gold or billions," Nabil Abu Rudeina told AFP.
 
Senior Palestinian official Hanan Ashrawi said in a statement that "we will not be blackmailed".
 
"President Trump has sabotaged our search for peace, freedom and justice," she said.
 
"Now he dares to blame the Palestinians for the consequences of his own irresponsible actions!" 
 
However, several Israeli ministers voiced support for Trump, with the country's right-wing government having seized on the US president's support to push ahead with initiatives seen as dealing further blows to remaining hopes for a two- state solution.
 
Culture and Sport Minister Miri Regev, from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party, said "you cannot on the one hand receive USD 300 million in American aid per year and at the same time close the door on negotiations".
 
"We are dealing with a president who says what he thinks clearly and does not resort to diplomatic convolutions that mean nothing," Regev told Israel's army radio.
 
Trump came to office boasting that he could achieve the "ultimate deal" that secures peace in the Middle East, something that has eluded presidents since the late 1960s.
 
For most of the past half century the United States has been seen as the indispensable -- if sometimes imperfect -- arbiter of the peace process.
 
Trump's actions are likely to cast that further in doubt.
 
He has heaped pressure on Palestinians to do a deal, threatening to close the de facto "embassy" in Washington in addition to recognising Israel's contested claim on Jerusalem and now threatening aid.
 
Efforts to harness improved Arab-Israel relations to push a peace deal have been at least temporarily derailed by Trump's Jerusalem recognition, breaking with decades of US policy.
 
The decision sparked almost universal diplomatic condemnation and deadly protests in the Palestinian territories.
 
It also prompted Abbas -- 82 years old and facing the prospect of entering the history books as the leader who "lost Jerusalem" -- to cancel a planned meeting with Vice President Mike Pence.
 
Christian and Muslim leaders in Egypt took similar steps.
 
Pence was forced to delay a December visit to the Middle East until later this month, and aides on Tuesday rejected rumours of further delays.
 
"As we've said all along, the vice president is going to the Middle East in January," said Pence spokeswoman Alyssa Farah.
 
"We're finalising details and will announce specifics of the full trip in the coming days.
A A
       WORLD
Next Article: Trump to Kim Jong-Un: My nuclear button 'is bigger & more powerful'
 
 
WORLD HEADLINES
China's BRI exposes its ulterior strategic motives  
CPEC: Business, security headache for China, Pak  
Pak Army Chief calls for meaningful Indo-Pak dialogue  
The royal family of UK welcomes baby no. 3  
Yemen: At least 30 killed after Saudi-led air strike hits wedding party  
China denies "hidden" military bases on CPEC  
World’s oldest person Nabi Tajima dies at 117 in Japan  
Barbara Bush Funeral: Scores of mourners gather in Texas  
17 dead in China's dragon boat accident  
Death toll in Kabul suicide blast rises to 31: Reports  
US must stop Pak's Pashtun crackdown: Activist  
Pak is China's client state: US report  
Mira Ricardel to be new deputy national security advisor  
Ships don't want to stop at Chinese run Hambantota  
Sheikh Hasina makes it to Time's list of 100 most influential people  
PM Modi should pay more attention to women safety: IMF chief  
Cuba marks end of era as Castro hands over power  
Rawalpindi village named after Malala  
Pak-sponsored PoK-Khalistani elements burn Indian flag in London  
CIA chief had 'smooth' meeting with Kim Jong Un: Trump  
31 militants dead, 37 wounded in Afghan  
India-UK MoU on illegal immigrants under discussion: Foreign Secy  
UIDAI did not accuse Google of trying to fail Aadhaar'  
Minority Hindu families protest abduction of minor  
Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at 92  
 
Sreejith case: Do you think arrested policemen are innocent?
yes
 
no
 
no opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy