Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
December 17, Sunday 2017 7:31 AM       

       HEADLINES: State home department a failure: Chennithala                                              It’s not an off-the-cuff decision: K M Mani                                              Kerala Congress M will seize to exist after next election                                              We don’t need opportunists in LDF: Kanam                                              Ockhi: Two more dead bodies found, death toll rises to 74                                              Sonia Gandhi turns nostalgic during her last speech as Cong chief                                              Guj polls: BJP will lose if EMVs don’t malfunction, says Hardik Patel                                              Bengaluru police say no to Sunny Leone's New Year bash                                              Rahul Gandhi will infuse new energy into Congress: Sachin Pilot                                              Rahul Gandhi takes over as Congress president                                              Al-Aqsa preacher slams Trump for recognising Jerusalem as Israel's capital                                              Toronto billionaire couple found dead at their home                                              2 people died as 6.5 magnitude earthquake hits Indonesian island                                              South Asian peace only if Pak 'miltablishment' stops support to Islamic terrorists                                              Agassi could prove to be good coach for Djokovic: Becker                                              Sindhu enters title round of Dubai Super Series Finals                                              Sania Mirza to give Australian Open a miss                                              ISL 2017/18: FC Goa outplay Delhi Dynamos to move into top spot                                              ISL: Kerala Blasters defeat 10-man NorthEast United by slender margin                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       CITYNEWS Next Article: Will continue search till last fisherman is found, says govt  
       Fishers continue protest
 
         Posted on :09:35:25 Dec 4, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:09:35:25 Dec 4, 2017
         Tags: fishers, protest
 

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The alleged delay of the state government in responding to the Ockhi cyclone threat and initiating rescue operations sparked off protests of the fisher folk too.

Fishers and their families in the affected areas across the State raised a banner of protest against the alleged tardy response to the disaster and also in conceding to their demand to include them in the Coast Guard teams that ventured into the sea in search of the missing boats.

This was despite the government bid to convince them that the best efforts had been made to expedite the rescue operations and save those who were caught in the sea.

The protests were largely initiated at the behest of the church and was aimed at bringing into sharp focus the alleged failure of the State’s disaster management mechanism to alert the fishermen and take precautionary steps.

The heads of local churches in the coastal area in the capital as well as other affected areas vociferously insisted that the fishermen should also be made part of the Coast Guard search teams and in the face of protests, accepted the demand.

The state also witnessed a political blame game in the wake of the havoc wreaked by the cyclone.

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) State president Kummanam Rajasekharan said here on Sunday that the Central agencies had dutifully alerted the state.

The MeT Centre as well as the Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services had alerted the State on November 28 and 29.

On seeking a clarification in this regard, INCOIS director Sathish Shenoy had furnished documents to prove that the alert was issued in time.

It had on November 28 itself warned of very heavy winds between 8.30 a.m. and 11.30 p.m. on the Kerala coast between Vizhinjam and Kasaragod on November 30 and said that the sea would be rough.

The central agencies had issued a joint bulletin on November 29.

This was passed on to the state government.

The state government argument that the warning was issued only on November 30 was baseless, he said in a statement here.

A A
       CITYNEWS
Next Article: Will continue search till last fisherman is found, says govt
 
 
CITYNEWS HEADLINES
UDF delegation to visit Munnar on Dec 19  
Two youths killed in accident  
Gold worth Rs 30 lakh seized at Kochi airport  
Two arrested for real estate fraud  
Ockhi Cyclone: Death toll climbs to 58  
Search and rescue operation will continue: Pinarayi  
HC grants interim bail to lawyer  
Fake currency racket busted  
Record revenue collection at Sabarimala  
Youth drowns  
Man arrested  
Organs of accident victim donated  
Cyclone Ockhi: 13 boats, 111 fishermen return to shore in Kochi  
Govt to revive coir industry: CM  
Actor alleges extortion bid by woman  
SHRC orders probe  
No deadline fixed to finish MCH work, says minister  
Officials failed fishers: SHRC  
Pedestrian killed in road accident  
Seven crude bombs recovered in Kannur  
Student killed  
Prisoners raise Rs 1 lakh  
Naval forces continues its SAR for missing fishermen  
Fifteen foreign officers passes out from Ins Dronacharya  
Cyclone Ockhi: Southern Naval Command continues search and rescue  
 
Do you support Adv Aloor's criticism that judges in lower courts lack guts?
Yes
 
No
 
No opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy