Bookmark Kaumudi Online  Bookmark this site  Editor@Kaumudi  |  Marketing  Print Advt rates  |  Calendar 2012        Go!    
 
 
December 18, Monday 2017 12:51 AM       

       HEADLINES: Ockhi: Search to spread to coast of Goa                                              Financial aid for Ockhi victims should not be misused                                              UDF team seeks time to meet PM                                              Ockhi: State govt prepares presentation to make Modi understand extent of tragedy                                              Ockhi: Minister says estimates after Christmas; one more dead body found                                              Now, escort companies in Goa demand Aadhar details                                              RK Nagar bypoll: DMK accuses AIADMK of bribing voters                                              Indian Air Force gets two more women fighter pilots                                              Brexit deal proves critics wrong: Theresa May                                              Global terrorist Saeed issues warning to India                                              Eight killed in Quetta church attack                                              Dhawan and spinners power India to ODI series win over Lankans                                              Indian hopes shatter as Sindhu loses Dubai Open title clash                                              Perth Test: Bowlers grind down England before heaven opens up                                              ISL 2017-18: Chennaiyin FC beat Bengaluru FC 2-1                                              Kaumudi Facebook
       CITYNEWS Next Article: Fishermen’s condition satisfactory  
       Will continue search till last fisherman is found, says govt
 
         Posted on :09:30:12 Dec 4, 2017
   
A A
       Last edited on:09:30:12 Dec 4, 2017
         Tags: continue, search, fisherman, found
 

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A high-level meeting, attended by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan, Union Minister of State for Tourism K J Alphons, officials of the State government, Navy, Coast Guard and the Air Force on Sunday, decided to continue the search for the missing fishermen till the last person is found.

The meeting held a review of the rescue operations carried out jointly by the State Government, the Air Force, Navy and the Coast Guard. Alphons said the Air Force, the Navy and the Coast Guard will coordinate the continuing rescue operations by deploying more ships, aircraft and helicopters.

The Chief Minister and the Chief Secretary K M Abraham said that the State had received the cyclone warning only at 12 noon on November 30, but all necessary action had been taken. Vijayan emphasised the fact that 400 persons had been rescued in a single day, thanks to the coordinated efforts of the Navy, Air force and the Coast Guard.

“This was one of the most important rescue effort on high seas,” he said.

The meeting also decided to include fishermen in the ongoing search and rescue operations for missing persons.

The decision came in the backdrop of strong protests by fish workers in several parts of the State, more as a mollification for overflowing emotions.

Revenue Minister E Chandrasekharan, Fisheries Minister J Mercykutty Amma, Cooperation and Tourism Minister Kadakampally Surendran, government officials, Coast Guard Chief Commander N Tiwari, Southern Naval Command’s Captain Sudheep Malik and Chief Secretary, the Additional Chief Secretary (Revenue) and other officials attended the meeting.

Later, speaking to media persons in the presence of the Chief Minister, Alphons corroborated the State government’s stand that the cyclone warning was received only on November 30 at 12 noon.

Many of the missing persons had set out a few days prior to the emergence of the depression in the Arabian Sea, he said.

Alphons, however, virtually retracted his statement soon after State BJP president Kummanam Rajasekharan rebutted the Minister’s position.

Alphons was saved from a controversy as the media attention soon turned to the announcement that Union Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman would arrive in the State, which she did later in the evening, for a visit to the affected areas in Kaniyakumari in Tamil Nadu and Thiruvananthapuram.

A A
       CITYNEWS
Next Article: Fishermen’s condition satisfactory
 
 
CITYNEWS HEADLINES
Woman given double life imprisonment  
Senate meeting held peacefully  
Adopted child rescued from family  
Two killed as lorry rams cycle, motorbikes  
UDF delegation to visit Munnar on Dec 19  
Two youths killed in accident  
Gold worth Rs 30 lakh seized at Kochi airport  
Two arrested for real estate fraud  
Ockhi Cyclone: Death toll climbs to 58  
Search and rescue operation will continue: Pinarayi  
HC grants interim bail to lawyer  
Fake currency racket busted  
Record revenue collection at Sabarimala  
Youth drowns  
Man arrested  
Organs of accident victim donated  
Cyclone Ockhi: 13 boats, 111 fishermen return to shore in Kochi  
Govt to revive coir industry: CM  
Actor alleges extortion bid by woman  
SHRC orders probe  
No deadline fixed to finish MCH work, says minister  
Officials failed fishers: SHRC  
Pedestrian killed in road accident  
Seven crude bombs recovered in Kannur  
Student killed  
 
Do you support Adv Aloor's criticism that judges in lower courts lack guts?
Yes
 
No
 
No opinion
 
 
 
Home Kerala India World Business Sports Sci&Tech Education Automobile CityNews Movies Environment Letters 
© Copyright keralakaumudi Online 2011  |  Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited.
Head Office Address: Kaumudi Buildings, Pettah P.O, Trivandrum - 695024, India.
Online queries talk to Deepu Sasidharan, + 91 98472 38959 or Email deepu[at]kaumudi.com
Customer Service -Advertisement Disclaimer Statement   |  Copyright Policy